POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : how to prevent overlapping random objects? : Re: how to prevent overlapping random objects? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:24:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how to prevent overlapping random objects?
From: stbenge
Date: 20 Aug 2010 16:14:30
Message: <4c6ee226$1@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C4c6d67d5%40news.povray.org%3E/

>> It took 23 minutes, 36 seconds to parse. Out of the 50,000 tests I gave it
>> to perform, only a mere 3,065 succeeded.
>
> This is the exact problem I ran into when coding the same sort of thing.  My
> code works also but it has a very high miss rate, very low success rate and
> it also takes ages to parse.

Yeah, it's really horrible. POV's SDL wasn't meant to be quick at
everything...

So far, my C++ implementation is very fast, for not being coded with ASM
and all. I was able to implement a few speedups, like not using
sqrt(x*x+y*y) for *every pixel*, but instead making a 1/4 circle 2D
array and picking from that.

But now I'm stuck on trying to convert an int to a char, and
vice-versus. It always comes down to something like that with C :( To
make a utility like this useful, the user need to be able to change
certain settings... This one might take awhile.