POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random annoyances : Re: Random annoyances Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:14:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random annoyances
From: clipka
Date: 13 Aug 2010 12:08:11
Message: <4c656deb$1@news.povray.org>
Am 13.08.2010 14:28, schrieb Mike Raiford:

> There is something to that, though. I see many drivers as not
> necessarily being bad drivers (unless they are driving 50mph on a 70mph
> road yapping on their cellphone) but being just plain rude drivers. I'm
> always very irritated when I see people wait until the absolute last
> possible second before moving over when there have been signs indicating
> the lane is under construction and everyone must move over up to a mile
> before the construction starts. Although, a couple of states I have
> driven in have enacted a law stating that they must move over 1/4 - 1/2
> mile before reaching the construction zone. Waiting to the last second
> before moving to a different lane will cause delays because someone will
> have to stop for you.

... which in turn is only a problem if people on the lane you are to
merge into don't bother whether you manage your merging maneuver or not.

Let's put it this way: If there is a gap you could move into, it
wouldn't matter for the following traffic in /that/ lane whether you do
indeed move into the gap ASAP or at the last possible moment, provided
the following driver on that lane would be disciplined enough to leave
that gap open for you. The only thing that would change would be that
the following traffic on /your/ lane wouldn't be tempted to overtake you
after you have merged.

As a matter of fact, in Germany there is a rule that in comparatively
slow and dense traffic you /must not/ merge early, and instead drive on
to the end of the lane, where both lanes are to merge in an alternating
fashion (think of a zipper being closed).

Again, it's not a question of "the" best driving style, but rather how
well your driving style is adapted to the palette of de-facto driving
styles of your fellow drivers (and also your car).

For instance, I guess my current driving style is pretty well-suited for
driving a well-powered car through German autobahn /commuter/ traffic,
while driving the same car through German autobahn /holiday/ traffic is
a totally different story. And driving a (comparatively) underpowered
car on a German autobahn requires yet a different driving style, which
inevitably /will/ irritate a certain subset of fellow drivers (primarily
those who have never driven a low-powered car on an autobahn, I guess).