POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random annoyances : Re: Random annoyances Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random annoyances
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 12 Aug 2010 19:10:20
Message: <4c647f5c$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> On 8/12/2010 7:59 AM, Warp wrote:
>
>>    I liked one thing the commentator said in the show, which was
>> something
>> about the outright contradictory attitude many drivers have towards their
>> own car: When the car is parked, it's the most valuable and fragile thing
>> in the entire world to them. Even a minor scratch is comparable to the
>> end
>> of the world. However, when they are driving the car, their attitude
>> seems
>> completely the opposite, as their driving is completely reckless, as
>> if they
>> couldn't care less how many scratches, bumps or even major damage
>> their car
>> could get from it.
>>

> Wow... I can totally see that attitude in some people. I get annoyed by
> the constant nicks the front-end of my car gets from gravel coming off
> the road, which reminds me of another annoyance:
>
> Gravel haulers. This is a tractor-trailer hauling a huge load of gravel.
> They've passed a law recently requiring them to place a tarp over the
> load. It helps, but I see so many that are in such a sad state of repair
> that have huge holes in the tarp. Flinging rocks toward windshields as
> they make their way down the road, usually driving way too fast.

My annoyance:
Snow and ice on trucks. I know the top of those transfer trucks are hard
to reach, but that three inch slab of rock hard ice, that built up while
you were stuck in at a rest stop cause the roads were closed, is going
to fly off at some point. Surprises me that more people aren't killed by
that stuff.

The people who leave the sheet of ice on their cars just have no excuse.
If I ever get hit by that on my bike, and survive, I will track them down.