POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random annoyances : Random annoyances Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:17:33 EDT (-0400)
  Random annoyances
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 12 Aug 2010 08:31:17
Message: <4c63e995$1@news.povray.org>
A different tack on randomness today. I feel like unloading:

First, a non-annoyance: Foreplay is such a great name for a song. That
is all.

Now, onto the topic. mostly commute-related:

* Contractors: Make sure your pallets, ladders, pipes, etc are tied down
and properly secured in that 1970's era pickup truck you're driving.
Your cargo constitutes a deadly projectile. Don't be surprised when I
fly by you at 80 miles an hour to get in front of you. I'd rather risk a
speeding ticket than death.

I have seen in the past couple of weeks the aftermath of irresponsible
cargo handling: 2 ladders, a splintered mass of wood I can only guess
used to be a pallet, and various other things on the road that don't
belong on the road.

* Left Lane Blockers (Right lane blockers in those areas that drive on
the left side of the street) Need I say more?

* I'm quote annoyed when I pass you, and you're driving 50 in a 70mph
zone and you're busy yacking on the phone. You're probably equally
oblivious to the fact that you've become a road hazard as you are to
your surroundings.

* Driving while sending a txt msg? srsly?

* Arrogant cyclists who seem to get some perverse pleasure out of
wearing clothing that is waay too small and waaay to revealing of things
I prefer not to see. Ever.

* You know that big red and white triangle that says "Yeild" to ramp?
Yeah. Cars are coming off the interstate, why are you blocking them from
exiting?

* Conversely: Learn how to merge, let me give you a hint. Unless you're
in an 18-wheeler with a heavy load, you're expected to get up to highway
speed as you enter the highway. Any slower speed and you're likely going
to make the morning traffic report with the pile-up you just caused, and
on a technicality, insurance doesn't find you responsible for.

* If you've been doing something naughty on the road and you get pulled
over, please find a better place to pull over than the freeway on-ramp.
You're putting the police officer's life in danger as well as your own,
not to mention you've added an extra layer of difficulty to getting onto
a crowded freeway.

* If you see an exit ahead, and you're finding that the car driving a
bit above the speed limit is going way to slow for you, it is still
extremely rude to cross the solid white line and exit when they have
signaled that they are about to exit. You've also caused that vehicle to
miss their exit because you blocked them from exiting and just added
time to their already long commute.

* Riding the bumper of the person in front of you will not make the
person in front of you go any faster. Also, throwing up your hands and
screaming is not going to magically cure the situation either. Yes,
they're guilty of blocking the left lane. Yes, I understand your
frustration, no, its not going to help to use tailgating as an outlet.

Whew... If you actually got here, thanks for reading that.
--
~Mike