POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : output an octree file : Re: output an octree file Server Time
29 Jun 2024 01:50:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: output an octree file
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 10 Aug 2010 15:55:06
Message: <4c61ae9a$1@news.povray.org>
jazzman wrote:

> I was wondering if someone knows if there's an option to output an octree of the
> rendered scene from POV-ray. All I need is to know for each cell in a 3d grid of
> the scene whether it's occupied or not.

I'm not sure if the internal data built during the render
is suitable for your needs, but even if so you'd need to
modify the source code of POV-Ray to get at it.

Alternatively, you can divide the scene into cubes in SDL
and use the trace function to check if they're empty or not
(within some error margin). In 3.7 you could even write
the data out in a binary format (such as df3).