POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The curse of Web technology : Re: The curse of Web technology Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The curse of Web technology
From: clipka
Date: 10 Aug 2010 10:29:02
Message: <4c61622e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.08.2010 12:47, schrieb Invisible:

> Next, XSLT provides a way to say "now transform all elements mathcing
> this pattern", but there is, as far as I can tell, absolutely *no way*
> to say "all elements NOT matching this pattern". Instead you must
> apparently hand-enumerate every possible element that might occur
> *except* the one you want to exclude. Yeah, that's real maintainable.

Try "E1 except E2", with E1 and E2 being arbitrary XPath expressions, e.g.

     * except FOO

to get everything NOT matching FOO. (Well, all tags that is; it won't
give you the attributes, and I'm not sure anymore whether it would give
you text elements; you'll have to see for yourself.)

For a good XSLT reference (well, at least it had helped me a lot) see
http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/.

> I just wasted about 45 minutes banging my head against the computer
> screen trying to comprehend *why* Firefox is utterly ignoring all my
> entity definitions. I've check, double-checked and triple-checked my
> code, compared it endlessly to the example code, and it JUST DOESN'T
> WORK, for no apparent reason.
>
> In utter desperation, I opened the file with IE. Instantly, it worked
> perfectly.
>
> What the *hell*?! Which parallel universe have I just landed in?
> Something *works* in IE and *doesn't work* in Firefox? That's
> impossible! Nothing *ever* works in IE!! Even the IE-specific stuff
> doesn't work in IE!
>
> Now I remember why I gave up in the first place...

My solution to this was to not use XSL as the "final thing", but just as
a data container that I would then "compile" into a set of XHTML pages.

Didn't get that project finished though either :-/