POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The curse of Web technology : The curse of Web technology Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  The curse of Web technology
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Aug 2010 06:47:41
Message: <4c612e4d$1@news.povray.org>
Ah yes, that's the wondering thing about the Web, isn't it? So many
browsers, so many incompatible implementations. The standards are
usually incomprehensible - and it doesn't matter, because nobody
implements them as written anyway. And the various tutorials around the
place never, ever tell you WHAT YOU ACTUALLY WANT TO KNOW!!! >_<

Now I remember why I started avoiding this stuff in the first place.

The maddening thing is, usually the magical incantation that you need to
utter is actually very simple. It's just that it will take you many,
many hours to discover WTF it actually is.

My goal is simple: To be able to write content and be able to easily
reformat it, restyle it, convert it to various file formats, and so
forth. The way I did this previously was to design a language syntax,
build a parser for that syntax, and write various transformation
backends. Which, needless to say, is a fair amount of work.

And then I saw DocBook, and quite liked it. There are various XSLT
bundles that will convert DocBook into a number of different formats.
Still, DocBook does not precisely fit my needs either. But it's just
XML, right? I can *make up* a markup that does fit my needs, and then
write the necessary XSLT to turn it into... whatever.

Big mistake!

First, waste 15 minutes trying to figure out how to link an XSLT
document to an XML document. (Mind you, I'm still just amazed that a
*browser* can do XSLT now. When I learned this stuff, you had to pay big
bucks for the necessary software to do it on the server-end.) I still
have no idea how you arrange for a document with multiple possible
transformation paths.

Next, XSLT provides a way to say "now transform all elements mathcing
this pattern", but there is, as far as I can tell, absolutely *no way*
to say "all elements NOT matching this pattern". Instead you must
apparently hand-enumerate every possible element that might occur
*except* the one you want to exclude. Yeah, that's real maintainable.

Of course, the best part is that as soon as you start using XML, you
can't say → anymore. It just doesn't work. You have to manually
define all those entities all over again. And this is where things
become *excruciatingly* difficult.

I just wasted about 45 minutes banging my head against the computer
screen trying to comprehend *why* Firefox is utterly ignoring all my
entity definitions. I've check, double-checked and triple-checked my
code, compared it endlessly to the example code, and it JUST DOESN'T
WORK, for no apparent reason.

In utter desperation, I opened the file with IE. Instantly, it worked
perfectly.

What the *hell*?! Which parallel universe have I just landed in?
Something *works* in IE and *doesn't work* in Firefox? That's
impossible! Nothing *ever* works in IE!! Even the IE-specific stuff
doesn't work in IE!

Now I remember why I gave up in the first place...