POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : English haiku : Re: English haiku Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: English haiku
From: Shay
Date: 9 Aug 2010 17:44:22
Message: <4c6076b6@news.povray.org>
On 08/07/2010 01:01 PM, Jim Charter wrote:

> And so, I sank through that spacious stairwell, and juxtaposed in my
> mind the thought of the impoverished class of men we've become,
> overwhelmed at the prospect of memorizing a gross or two of facts, when
> perhaps in an earlier age whole books or passages, multiplication tables
> or navigation tables were recited without question. And yet with GPS, an
> individual might be productive in a way he never was before.

Yes, I really want to struggle to learn something, but can find no
reason besides novelty to really dig in to any new subject.

When I was a senior in High School, I had to retake the History class
I'd flunked my junior year. Class was just before lunch, and the
teacher, Mr. Ramsey would review (really it was a PREview, I suppose,
but he called it REview) Friday's tests on Thursday. No pens allowed,
but I could memorize all 30 test questions. I'd write them down at lunch

When I was poor, I would sometimes shop to fatigue for expensive items
instead of buying them.

Now, I don't have any tests to take and have learned to hate shopping.
Every thing I think I might someday need to know is easily available on
the Internet. My grandmother says, "A sheep isn't stupid. A sheep knows
what he needs to know." Guess that's where I'm at.

  -Shay