POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Benchmark.pov update before release : Re: Benchmark.pov update before release Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:26:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Benchmark.pov update before release
From: clipka
Date: 9 Aug 2010 14:46:05
Message: <4c604ced$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.08.2010 17:08, schrieb clipka:

> If there's anything substantial about the single-thread timing issues,
> and those are /not/ OS- or compiler-dependant or specific to rare
> circumstances, then it should ring an alarm bell or two on my
> performance testbed.

I'm seeing notable slowdown for the following sample scenes (real
run-time in seconds):

                 MegaPOV 1.2.1   3.7.0.beta.38 +WT1
chess2.pov      223             409
grenadine.pov   164		214
infinitybox.pov  16              34  (!!!)
wineglass.pov    40              58

(plus various scenes using radiosity, but I'm ignoring those here)

Except for the "chess2.pov" slowdown, the other three appear to have
been newly introduced with beta.38, as a similar slowdown can also be
observed between multi-thread beta.37a and beta.38 for these particular
scenes.

OTOH, there is an even greater number of scenes exhibiting a notable
(and in some cases astonishing) speedup, e.g.:

                         MegaPOV 1.2.1   3.7.0.beta.38 +WT1
glasschess.pov          499             281
landscape.pov           575              43  (!!!)
newdiffract.pov         574             129  (!!!)
projected_through.pov    36              13  (!!!)

(plus various scenes using radiosity, and others using crackle)

Again, some of these speedups can also be seen between multi-threaded
beta.37a and beta.38.

 From this I draw the conclusion that the speed balance between
individual features has indeed been changing, but the overall speed of
POV-Ray has not degraded in that process.