POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Benchmark.pov update before release : Re: Benchmark.pov update before release Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:06:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Benchmark.pov update before release
From: clipka
Date: 9 Aug 2010 11:08:20
Message: <4c6019e4$1@news.povray.org>

@Stephen: What OS and exact versions of POV-Ray are we talking about?

>> Did you saw something like this with the last POVRAY 3.7 SMP version.
>> With one povray file including glass texture, rendering time was 3 minutes using
>> 3.6 single core and 12 minutes using 3.7 SMP.

Such issues have already been reported a while ago with earlier POV-Ray
3.7 betas, though mainly in conjunction with animations IIRC.

> I'm lazy, I do not want to search for a scene with glass texture.
>
> Can you name one for me from the distribution, so that I could test it ?
> (especially one that displayed your reported behaviour: quick on 3.6,
> slow on 3.7)
>
> Thanks in advance.
> (Ready to test with the latest beta, as soon as you name the scene file)

FYI: I'm currently running single-threaded (+WT1) beta.38 (inofficial
64-bit binary compiled with Intel icpc 11.1) against a collection of
~150 scenes on a Linux AMD64 machine (Phenom 9650 2.3GHz Quad-Core) to
compare them with timing results for POV-Ray 3.6.1 (official 32-bit
binary compiled with GNU g++ 3.4.1) and MegaPOV 1.2.1 (official 64-bit
binary compiled with GNU g++, unknown compiler version).

If there's anything substantial about the single-thread timing issues,
and those are /not/ OS- or compiler-dependant or specific to rare
circumstances, then it should ring an alarm bell or two on my
performance testbed.

So far, the tests have already highlighted a scene that renders in 8:35
instead of 2:40 (MegaPOV), but that one uses radiosity, which has
changed too much to be comparable.