POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Inspirational text : Re: Inspirational text Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inspirational text
From: Warp
Date: 6 Aug 2010 13:33:45
Message: <4c5c4779@news.povray.org>
Shay <n@n.n> wrote:
> > Who said anything about procreating? Men want sex. Procreation is a
> > programmed side effect.

> All guys want one thing: food
> All guys want one thing: air
> etc.

> Or would you suggest that guys only want food and air so we can stay
> alive for more sex? I think the belief that all human (or animal, for
> that matter) inclinations can be traced back to some perfect and logical
> instinct is a load of crap.

  I think that the implication is "the only thing that men want *from a
relationship* is sex". The "from a relationship" being omitted shouldn't
be taken as the claim literally meaning that there's absolutely nothing
else on a man's mind than sex (which, rather obviously, cannot be the
case because it would be a physical impossibility, as a person would *die*
pretty quickly if he didn't think of *anything* else at all).

  Of course the claim is just not true. It might be true for *some*
individual males, who truly and honestly seek the company of the opposite
sex (or in some cases the same sex, or in even a fewer cases either will
do just fine) for the sole purpose of having sex and absolutely nothing
else *at all*. But they are probably a minority. And even in these few
cases it's probably only a very *temporary* thing (iow. it won't be like
that for the rest of their lives).

  In fact, I'm pretty certain that the human instinct of seeking company
is not so much related to sex as it is related to humans being a very
heavily social species. Humans *need* the company of other humans, or
they will simply go crazy (this is been clinically and scientifically
tested so many times that people have probably lost count). It might be
that from an evolutionary point of view the ultimate reason why people
need other people (or go crazy) is procreation and the survival of the
species, but even if that's so, that's usually not the major thing in
one's conscious mind when one seeks the company of others. In other words,
people are usually not *thinking* about sex and procreation when they
seek other people (which is what the original claim is about).

  Having someone to relate to, someone to talk with, is a psychologically
essential element of the human psyche. The vast majority of people,
including men, do not seek other people mainly for sex, but for company.
A man does not want primarily sex. A man wants a friend.

--
                                                          - Warp