POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows Setup design : Re: Windows Setup design Server Time
2 Jul 2024 09:40:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows Setup design
From: SharkD
Date: 5 Aug 2010 22:21:29
Message: <4c5b71a9$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/28/2010 10:33 PM, Chris Cason wrote:
> Microsoft has also apparently realized that it was a bit confusing not to
> have defined a program files equivalent under the user's profile, so now
> there is one: by default, it's C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs
> (see the above article for reference to this, where they state "When a user
> installs the dual-purpose package on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
> using the per-user context, these components are saved in the Programs
> folder of the current user (for example at %LocalAppData%\Programs) and can
> be accessed only by that user.")

The next step for MS would seem to be to replace "C:\Program Files" with
"C:\Users\All Users\AppData\Local\Programs" if this is the case. And I
still don't think executables and settings should both be located in
"AppData". Or at least, they should make the distinction between
executables and settings much more clear in the folder naming scheme.
Therefore, I would bet MS will change the recommendations yet once
again, maybe when they release their next OS.

Mike