POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : how to visualize what you want? : Re: how to visualize what you want? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:14:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how to visualize what you want?
From: clipka
Date: 3 Aug 2010 14:50:01
Message: <4c5864d9$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.08.2010 19:19, schrieb nemesis:

>> The problem with that calculator is that while it may be powerful as
>> hell, it's a PITA to unleash that power when it happens to use reverse
>> polish notation and has plenty of buttons besides which are labeled with
>> terms you've never heard before. So you end up deciding that you'd be
>> faster (and have a better chance of retaining your sanity besides) using
>> some other, less powerful brand of calculator, than wrapping your head
>> around that one which /would/ spit out the result at the press of a
>> single button if you only knew which of the gazillions. (Ever seen
>> Pixar's "Lifted" short?)
>
> are you talking about Blender or emacs/vim? ;)

Now that you mention it, I guess it applies to vi, too - yes. (Emacs was
not so much of a problem actually, because its basic mode of operation
seemed to make some sense to me. Or the admin had been so kind as to
configure it that way, dunno.)

> We've had this conversation a million times and the conclusion is always the
> same:  while it may seem faster to do certain task in notepad rather than learn
> emacs/vim, when you finally learn it you be willing to die having lost all those
> years doing the task in x time when you could do it in x/100 had you learned
> emacs/vim.

You spelt "if" wrong: It's "/if/ you finally learn it", not "when" :-P

As far as vi is concerned, that's a learning curve I'll most likely
never ever choose to take. Maybe if I was a Unix admin - but I'm not.

As for Blender, maybe I'll give it another try some day. Or maybe not. I
dunno yet.

In any case I'm always surprised how people can be surprised that some
people find Blender's UI (at least the old one) utterly
incomprehensible. Insofar it's different from vi, where its fans are
pretty much aware why the UI might scare away some people.