POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An idle observation : Re: An idle observation Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An idle observation
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Aug 2010 20:20:51
Message: <4c5760e3$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> byte ordering that /starts/ with the "big end".

But that's my point.  "Starts" and "ends" is meaningless. The MSB is either
at the lowest address space or it's at the highest address space. The only
reason we think of "starts" and "ends" that was is we write from left to
right. I suspect "big endian" and "little endian" would be confusing to
those speaking hebrew, arabic, or whatever version of chinese goes from top
to bottom.

I mean, if the terms were in chinese, they'd be "highendian" and
"lowendian", and you'd have a heck of a time guessing what that's supposed
to mean.

> or just vice versa. Yeah, sure, eggheads :-)

Well, there's arguments for both that make sense. But it's really quite
arbitrary exactly because there *are* arguments for both.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback