POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question of energy : Re: A question of energy Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:21:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of energy
From: clipka
Date: 2 Aug 2010 17:55:03
Message: <4c573eb7$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.08.2010 22:32, schrieb gregjohn:
> clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:

>>> And here I was thinking that the heat produced depends on the
>>> characteristics of the material, not just the current...
>>
>> In a sense that's true - but the material characteristics influence the
>> resistance /exactly/ the same way as the heat produced ;-)
>>

> Heat is heat is heat.  If heat is generated, heat is generated. Don't confuse
> that with _temperature_ . The temperature that objects rise to will depend on a
> number of properties, starting with _heat_capacity_  and eventually influenced
> by _thermal_conductivity_ , convection currents in the neighborhood, etc..   A 1
> Ohm aluminum and 1 ohm tungsten wire will warm up differently, even if the same
> heat were generated.

Don't worry, I'm not confusing these things here. I guess Andy has
gotten the point I intended to make: "Sure, there are experimental
setups where the heat generated by a sample resistor at a given current
depends on the material characteristics - but you're forgetting that
those experiments don't have a constant resistance either."

Not really contradicting what you say, is it?