POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Weren't we talking about mainframes here? : Re: Weren't we talking about mainframes here? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weren't we talking about mainframes here?
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Aug 2010 16:22:56
Message: <4c572920@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   As I understand it (something I remember from the University), the most
> reliable mainframes are quite complicated on both hardware and software
> (well, the operating system) with respect to the CPUs (if there are multiple,
> redundant CPUs which ensure uninterrupted uptime even if a CPU malfunctions).

Yes. This is rather newer than my experience, tho. I never worked personally
with redundant hardware of that degree of correctness. Most of my bitching
about lack of correctness in the OS is simple operating system stuff, like
actually locking files when locked, not leaving temp files around if you
crash, not starving a write lock just because there are bunches of brief but
overlapping read locks, etc.  The sort of thing that EINTR is symptomatic of.

>   That's the reason why you can't simply use a PC as a reliable mainframe.
> I don't think Intel processors support anything like this. If a CPU fries,
> you are more or less toast. (Or, in other words, you are going down, no
> matter what, especially if the malfunction happens when the CPU is
> executing some critical kernel code.)

Yep. But you *can* get simulators, if you want to learn how to use the OS
that the mainframes run and such. (I can't imagine it's strictly POSIX on a
mainframe, even if they often run some variant of UNIX nowadays.)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback