POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An idle observation : Re: An idle observation Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An idle observation
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Aug 2010 14:33:46
Message: <4c570f8a$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   When I see someone using the terms, I just can't assume anything (unless
> it can be unambiguously deduced from the context).

Yep. I've been working on trying to make measurements unambiguous in my
everyday speech and my written docs. For example, your clock is not "ahead"
of my clock. It's either "showing earlier" or "showing later" than my clock.
Your colors aren't "brighter" than mine, they're either "more saturated" or
"lighter hued" or something like that.

(The one that killed me all the f'ing time was when we were selling tickets,
and the boss refused to distinguish between SKUs and individual tickets. SO
you never knew if he was talking about (for example) all the tickets to
Batman need to be able to be refunded, or the individual ticket that Fred
bought needs to be able to be refunded. Over and over I tried to get him to
distinguish between the event you're talking about and the individual piece
of paper that let you into that event, to no avail.)

I've found it's worth the effort, at least when talking to other technical
people, to be precise and consistent about such things. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback