POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An idle observation : Re: An idle observation Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An idle observation
From: Warp
Date: 2 Aug 2010 13:36:40
Message: <4c570227@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   Don't you mean that it moves the data one slot *up*

> Wet ink smears. Hence, people write from the top of the page towards the
> bottom. Hence, lower numbers in a list are higher on the page than higher
> numbers on a list.

  It really becomes irritatingly confusing when people use the terms
"upcasting" and "downcasting" assuming that all the readers agree on what
they mean.

  Heck, even *I* can't figure out which is which. In UML derived classes
are typically drawn *below* the base class, so "upcasting" would mean
casting from derived class to base class (I have seen this usage). On the
other hand, an inheritance hierarchy can be seen as a tree where the base
class is at the root (hence the name "base"). In this case "upcasting" would
be casting from the base class to the derived class (I have seen this usage
as well).

  When I see someone using the terms, I just can't assume anything (unless
it can be unambiguously deduced from the context).

--
                                                          - Warp