POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : asymmetric density maps : Re: asymmetric density maps Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: asymmetric density maps
From: Jim Charter
Date: 1 Aug 2010 17:54:21
Message: <4c55ed0d$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Yes, this works nicely indeed. I had been thinking about this issue a few
> weeks ago and decided then that warp{turbulence} was giving enough assymetry
> to the media to satisfy me. However, black_hole is giving me new ideas to
> explore.
>
> Thanks, Jim!
>
> Thomas

Yes the render I posted on p.b.images illustrates better what I'd had in
mind when I originally made the suggestion: the idea of pushing the
density off center by stretching and compressing the whole of the
pattern.  I'd just offered this crude code snip as the barest of hints.

One wonders if nesting patterns by first converting them to functions
might also provide this type of result.

I have long been looking for a way to smoothly change the scale of a
pattern through space, such as you might see on a leather grain, and so
far the only way I know to do it is with black_hole.  Whatever the
wizardry is that underlies the black_hole warp, again I wonder if it or
similar could be exposed for use more directly.