POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : how to visualize what you want? : Re: how to visualize what you want? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how to visualize what you want?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 1 Aug 2010 15:02:54
Message: <4c55c4de$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/1/2010 11:21 AM, nemesis wrote:
> "Thomas de Groot"<tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet>  wrote:
>> "nemesis"<nam### [at] gmailcom>  schreef in bericht
>>>
>>> it's always amusing how geeks able to build their own CNC machines and
>>> hand-code
>>> povray scenes find it gobsmackingly difficult to use Blender.  It's kinda
>>> like
>>> being able to calculate the results of complex integrals by hand, but
>>> being
>>> completely lost when given a powerful pocket calculator... LOL
>>
>> <grin>
>> Still, if Blender were less arcane, I would have been using it ages ago.
>
> Perhaps you should try it now.  2.5 Beta has just been released last week and
> comes with hopefully is a much more intuitive and sane interface relying mostly
> on mouse-first-keymaps-later philosophy.

Nice!

> In any case, it's a 3D package beast coming shock full with video editor,
> animation tools, texture painting, sculpting, nodes editor, a game engine,
> physics simulations etc.  A 3D modeller is only a tiny fraction of what Blender
> is, which certainly accounts for its complexity:  so many buttons and screen
> layouts that might intimidate, but the trick is to just use what you need for
> the current task.

Which is all well and good, as long as the stuff you don't need isn't
glaring menacingly at you, at the same time as the ones you "do" need.
Tried to follow a tutorial a while back, which included some UV export
and stuff, so you could draw to the mesh pattern, etc. (which, imho,
doesn't work worth shit. We need a full editor, including clipping,
etc., where you can edit face by face, or groups of faces, or something
sane, not the "export a wireframe and how you know which parts apply to
the original"). As far as I know, no one has ever made such a thing. :(
In any case, I tried it three times. I only got it right *once*, and
then the next time I wanted to do the same thing, I screwed something up
again. lol

>> just lost interest in it as other modellers were easier and faster to
>> understand (for the same results in my case, and that is what counts).
>
> but you do use modelers, which is better than plotting integrals by hand.  :)

Funny.. But, since my current projects are all blender/wings/whatever ->
displacement mapping (i.e. Second Life sculpty), I have the combined
frustration that its pretty hard to, say, render in POVRay, with the
intent to use as a texture on an object that "also" isn't flat, any more
than the model in POVRay was... Still thinking about how to manage that
one in a way that will actually work, since a linked set in SL doesn't
apply texture consistently, as though wrapped over the whole build, but
to individual parts, with entirely different alignments, or even
warping... Man I am going to love it when they finally add mesh support,
and I can stop screwing with this goofy mess.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();