POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question of energy : Re: A question of energy Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of energy
From: clipka
Date: 1 Aug 2010 13:13:26
Message: <4c55ab36$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.08.2010 18:12, schrieb Orchid XP v8:
>>> According to physics, it would require 0 Jules. However, to keep the
>>> object stationary against the force of gravity, the muscles in your arm
>>> are having to continually expend chemical energy. But how the **** do
>>> you compute how much energy that is??
>>
>> Measure the amount of Co2 you exhale (a) normally, and (b) while
>> performing said feat, then from the difference compute the extra Co2
>> produced for that feat, and from that estimate the energy?
>
> Sure. Now tell me how much energy is released by the production of 1
> unit of CO2...

I guess some biochemistry experts have already done elaborate studies on
this subject, so it's just a matter of finding the right paper to give
you this answer.

For instance, you could do the same measurements on a person working out
on an ergometer (a high-quality "calibrated" treadmill, stationary
bicycle or similar device) at different loads.