POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Trying to put a simple image on a cylinder's surface : Re: Trying to put a simple image on a cylinder's surface Server Time
5 Jul 2024 03:00:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trying to put a simple image on a cylinder's surface
From: clipka
Date: 1 Aug 2010 12:48:24
Message: <4c55a558$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.08.2010 15:16, schrieb Dave!:
> Haven't posted here in ages--please be gentle!
>

> I'm trying to wrap a simple image onto the surface of a cylinder.  For various
> reasons, I don't want to use image mapping and was hoping to do it with
> intersecting solids.
>
> The image is a sort of caution sign, an upright yellow triangle with a black
> boarder and a black exclamation point inside.
>
> I can create a flat version image very easily using a few triangle meshes and
> disc objects, but I'm having trouble getting it to intersect with the cylider's
> surface.
>
> Does this make sense?  My gut feeling is that POV-Ray offers some dirt-simple
> way to do this, but I have the impression that I'm missing something basic.

No surprise you have trouble intersecting your sign with the cylinder
surface: You mention triangle meshes and disc objects; neither of these
have any depth, so you can't intersect them with anything.

You need to give the sign a third dimension: Use cylinders instead of
the disks, and linear_spline prisms instead of the triangle meshes. That
should get you started.

Note that if you want the sign to cover a big portion of the cylinder,
you may also run into problems with distortions. In that case, you might
need to use a set of object patterns and apply a cylindrical warp.