POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Transmogrify : Re: Transmogrify Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transmogrify
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 1 Aug 2010 00:55:11
Message: <4c54fe2f$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/31/2010 6:52 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>> You are speaking to the wrong person, here. "Habituating" is not a
>> word in British English we use dependency (if I follow you correctly).
>
> I believe that's correct.
>
>> I’m also a bit wary of the term “good drugs” I know that it is popular
>> to say things like good and bad bacteria but it is a bit misleading.
>
> I mean "good" as in "you like it so much you want more." I don't say
> that fat people have a dependency on Big Macs. I'm trying to figure out
> what the difference between (say) pot and something people get a
> dependency on, given that lots and lots of people here are in jail
> because they can't keep themselves from smoking pot in places they'll
> get caught. So why isn't that a dependency?

For a small number, it may be. As has been pointed out, a few quirks in
one or two complex networks of genes can make someone "hugely" more
effected, or hugely less. Its similar to allergies, and in fact *one* of
the things that can trigger alcohol addictions *is* a mild enough
allergy to it that it has a *much* bigger effect, but not so much of one
that it would kill the person. For most its just a matter that someone
already "on" pot has problems thinking clearly, and so, it never occurs
to them **not to** smoke some place they will get caught, should they
already be taking it, when they smoke the next one. Doesn't help that it
makes people want to eat a lot, so, if they don't have enough in house,
or they decide they badly want something they don't have....

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {