POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : installer POV-Ray 3.7 beta 38 issues : Re: installer POV-Ray 3.7 beta 38 issues Server Time
26 Apr 2024 10:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: installer POV-Ray 3.7 beta 38 issues
From: Chris Cason
Date: 31 Jul 2010 23:51:40
Message: <4c54ef4c$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/08/2010 13:42, Darren New wrote:
> Chris Cason wrote:
>> I'd agree this probably isn't desired behavior, there is probably a way
>> to stop Windows doing this
>
> Quoting from earlier in the thread:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&
> FamilyID=27028822-b172-4cec-91a3-26b610a4da79
>

> and not during the installation."
>
> Does this mean that creating the My Documents files during first run
> would  be a better way of working it? You could always create the
> defaults in the Program Files (or whatever) directory and copy them if
> they don't exist. Would that keep them from being deleted on uninstall?

It has always been our intention to 'advertise' (Microsoft term) the module
that installs the per-user files; this is what gets activated on first run.
However this is still a Windows Setup module, so it would have the same
issue. I am sure there is a way to tell Windows not to remove these files;
it's just a way of working out how. I don't really want to have to write
code to manually copy and install them, as it kind of defeats the purpose
of having an installer.

(Of course, as soon as I do that, someone is inevitably going to complain
that POV-Ray doesn't clean up after itself when it's uninstalled ...)

-- Chris