POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question of energy : Re: A question of energy Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:12:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of energy
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Jul 2010 23:36:57
Message: <4c54ebd9$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Yeah. It _is_ kind of conspicuous that all the examples talk about
> *lifting* an object. As if moving an object horizontally wouldn't
> require any energy or something...

It doesn't, in the physics definition of "energy".  Other than the fact that
you expend energy to accelerate the object and more energy to decelerate it,
and to overcome friction and such. But if it's (say) sitting on a
frictionless surface, you can move it as far as you want with as little
energy as you want.

You're thinking the physics definition of "energy" has something to do with
"effort".  The physics definition of "energy" has to do with how much work
you can make the mass under consideration perform. I.e., if it's the weight
on a pendulum clock, and the clock is stopped because you're holding it up,
you're neither making the clock capable of running longer nor shorter
because you're holding it.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback