POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Transmogrify : Re: Transmogrify Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transmogrify
From: Stephen
Date: 30 Jul 2010 17:43:46
Message: <4c534792$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/07/2010 9:47 PM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Which makes a huge difference. Mind, one of the things that makes it
> easy to withdraw from **is** the fact that it doesn't have an effect so
> massive that it permanently changes brain chemistry. Maybe we need a
> different definition. Addictive means - you would have some level of
> withdrawal from it. ??? means - You can't ever completely withdraw from
> it at all, and your attempt to do so will be long, painful, and incomplete.

Is there anything that you can’t withdraw from> I know that if you take
excess alcohol for a long enough period it does alter your brain and
organs permanently.

> Part of the problem in many of these things is that we end up using the
> same word to describe things that, while they make work similarly, can
> have **drastically** different impacts. Its like someone with MS. I had
> a teacher with that, and up until a few months before it killed him, he
> *seemed* completely normal. There was a friend of the family who had a
> kid with it too, and he was semi-normal, up until about 10-12, then, by
> the time he was 15 or so he was in a wheel chair, barely able to speak,
> etc. Same condition, completely different results. Addiction is like
> that. All addiction works much the same, but *some* forms of it are
> severely debilitating, and leave lasting scares, which someone opting to
> drink soda pop, instead of taking crack, **doesn't have to worry
> about**, even if, in principle, the result uses the same word to
> describe it.

True and as you said earlier drugs have different effects on different
people. I’m prescribed dihydrocodine which is addictive. But when I stop
taking it the only effect I get is that my skin itches, which is quite
easy for me to cope with. Other people get more severe symptoms. Having
said that, I don’t know if it is because I have built up a tolerance to
it. The first time I took 15 mg I was away with the fairies. Now I can
take 60 mg and all I feel is a bit buzzy and I talk a lot. I’m certainly
not dependant on it. Different strokes for different folks. :-D

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen