POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Transmogrify : Re: Transmogrify Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transmogrify
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 30 Jul 2010 16:47:30
Message: <4c533a62$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/30/2010 2:56 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 29/07/2010 9:47 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Others.. would be addicted by something as mild as caffeine.
>
> Caffeine is quite addictive and a lot of people are addicted but it is
> easy to withdraw from.

Which makes a huge difference. Mind, one of the things that makes it
easy to withdraw from **is** the fact that it doesn't have an effect so
massive that it permanently changes brain chemistry. Maybe we need a
different definition. Addictive means - you would have some level of
withdrawal from it. ??? means - You can't ever completely withdraw from
it at all, and your attempt to do so will be long, painful, and incomplete.

Part of the problem in many of these things is that we end up using the
same word to describe things that, while they make work similarly, can
have **drastically** different impacts. Its like someone with MS. I had
a teacher with that, and up until a few months before it killed him, he
*seemed* completely normal. There was a friend of the family who had a
kid with it too, and he was semi-normal, up until about 10-12, then, by
the time he was 15 or so he was in a wheel chair, barely able to speak,
etc. Same condition, completely different results. Addiction is like
that. All addiction works much the same, but *some* forms of it are
severely debilitating, and leave lasting scares, which someone opting to
drink soda pop, instead of taking crack, **doesn't have to worry
about**, even if, in principle, the result uses the same word to
describe it.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {