POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : JCTI CCAT : Re: JCTI CCAT Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JCTI CCAT
From: scott
Date: 30 Jul 2010 09:30:28
Message: <4c52d3f4$1@news.povray.org>
> I guess I have to just rationalise it as "Hey, it's an internet IQ test.
> It doesn't actually *work* or anything..."

Exactly, those kind of shape matching tests are everywhere, I really doubt
how good they are actually judging intelligence.  If you've done a handful
of them (and especially if you've discussed the solutions with others)
you'll remember the basic principles they often use and will be more likely
to solve other ones.

I still remember a maths test we did at school, some of the questions were
about getting the next number in the sequence, the usual stuff.  Then there
was something like "3,3,5,4,4,3,5,5,..." and lots of people guessed (some
correctly) but nobody figured it out.  Since that day when the teacher told
us the answer and we all went "doh!", remembering that sequence has helped
me solve several similar problems in other tests.  I would only call that
intelligence if you figured it out the first time on your own with no prior
knowledge of such "tricks" used in those kinds of tests.  Now when I can
answer a question like that, it's mostly memory skills and not much
intelligence.