POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Transmogrify : Re: Transmogrify Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transmogrify
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 27 Jul 2010 15:15:25
Message: <4c4f304d$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/27/2010 11:50 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 07:28:30 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>
>> Nah! They are illegal because the “law makers” know what is better for
>> us than we do ourselves.
>>
>> Bampots!
>
> You took the words right out of my mouth.  I hope I didn't bite you. :-)
>
> (Though I wouldn't have said 'lawmakers' but rather 'moral majority' here
> in the US)
>
> Jim
Oh, give me a break. Yeah, there are some "low level" things, like pot,
for which this is a believable assertion. And, it doesn't follow that
they can tell you that you "must" wire buildings a certain way, for
public safety, and do so licensed, but they can't tell you that you are
not allowed to do so why taking cocaine. Either there is a hazard, or
their isn't. The problem, in a nutshell, is that a small number of
purists think *everything* is a hazard, including, in some case, the one
they tried to ban before, but now only keep people from buying, in some
places, on Sundays, whether it qualifies or not.

I do, however, agree with the argument that it also costs the tax payer
money to cover treatment for avoidable problems, from things like
cigarettes, and that this *could be* a legitimate grounds to
limits/curtail their use. Unless you are a Rethuglican, in which case
pot is evil, but you should be allowed to smoke yourself to death, at a
huge cost to the federal and state budgets, with impunity... lol

Nearly everything else *is* addictive, sometimes instantly, and
permanently alters brain chemistry, such that you also have to keep
trying to take more of it, to get the same result, not to mention
placing most people that take them in a state of mind that they
literally can't imagine doing anything to hurt anyone else, even while,
in the case of the nastiest of them, they are running them over with a
car. The drunk is similarly bad, but it takes way more to do that, and
they are not going to be laughing their ass off, as they run you over,
they just won't notice they hit you. That bars can have X drink
minimums, but no means/attempt is made to try to keep people from going
to 40 bars and buying the minimum 2 drinks at every damn one of them, is
something I have thought is bloody assed stupid. Sure, the solution
would be complicated, and some people would cheat, and some wackos would
whine about the government "watching them", or some BS, if they had to
have their ID scanned every time, and bars where networked to track that
stuff. But, arresting 2% of all the idiots that get stinking drunk,
hoping it will make the other 98% think twice? That is just flat out
useless.

Mind, read an article recently about the other "you really don't want to
take this recreationally, if you plan to do anything except sit around
under its influence, class of psychedelics. One called Ibogaine has two
interesting effects. Its psychedelic effect is a replay of past events
in your life, and it seems to reset brain chemistry, eliminating all
addiction to other substances. The problem is, its insanely easy to
overdose on it, and the UK had a serious of deaths in the program they
where testing it in.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {