POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Myst 3: Exile : Re: Myst 3: Exile Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:16:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Myst 3: Exile
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Jul 2010 13:12:20
Message: <4c4f1374$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I'm a bit proud to say that I completed the entire game without ever
> looking at any walkthrough tutorial whatsoever. All by myself.

Congrats. I love these types of games. It can be exceedingly difficult to do
them without cheats, but of all the different "3D adventure games" out
there, the Myst series is by far the best.

>   I liked it so much, in fact, that I ordered Myst IV (which seems to
> follow the same conventions).

It will make the most sense if you play Myst (the original) first. Riven
(Myst 2) is kind of stand-alone, but is arguably the best of the series.
There's also "True Myst", which is the original Myst ported (officially) to
a 3D engine, so it's no longer a slide show.

I found Myst 4 to be the most difficult. Arguably the prettiest, but also
the most difficult. There are a few things that are hard to read that you
need to be able to read to decode some clues, and a few things where you
have to make a leap of assumption to figure out what you're supposed to do.

It's definitely a connected story, so I'd quite recommend going through them
in order if you can. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback