POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question about special relativity : Re: A question about special relativity Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question about special relativity
From: Thibaut Jonckheere
Date: 27 Jul 2010 05:13:10
Message: <4c4ea326@news.povray.org>

> Thibaut Jonckheere <tua### [at] mapsonyahoofr> wrote:
>> After a rapid reading of your post (sorry, not much time), it seems that
>> it might be some variation of known 'paradox' of special relativity:
>
>> See for example:
>> http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/mirrors/physicsfaq/Relativity/SR/barn_pole.html
>> http://www.einsteins-theory-of-relativity-4engineers.com/ladder-paradox.html
>
>   I know the barn pole paradox, but I don't know how to apply the
> explanation to the case I described.

Usually, these paradox comes from the (mis-)use of 'simultaneous
events'. In your case, I think simultaneity is hidden there:

>  However, by using the clock of ship B, it takes only a half second for
> the bow of ship A to go from the bow to the stern of the ship B.

Even if A looks at clocks which are on ship B, measuring the time of a
given event (e.g. Bow of ship A at bow of ship B) means that the event
"the clock needle is pointing at this number' is simultaneous with the
given event. And so, for B, these events would not be simultaneous (so,
  for B, the clock needle would not point towards this number when bow
of ship A is at bow of ship B).

These paradox can be tricky to solve, so I may be wrong with this. But I
don't doubt that it can be tracked down to the use of simultaneity, thus
the link with the barn pole paradox and others...

Thibaut