POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Close newsgroup sub-groups? : Re: Close newsgroup sub-groups? Server Time
26 Sep 2024 17:45:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Close newsgroup sub-groups?
From: CShake
Date: 26 Jul 2010 14:39:49
Message: <4c4dd675$1@news.povray.org>
On 2010-07-26 12:55, Chris Cason wrote:
> On 27/07/2010 02:46, SharkD wrote:
>>> There are more reasons than just disk space to ask that you
>>> keep the number of Wiki page revisions low; for instance it reduces the
>>> effort needed to review changes.
>>
>> Not mentioned anywhere.
>
> I suppose we didn't anticipate the need to mention something that we
> considered to be common sense.
>
> -- Chris

Wikis don't take much space, and 10kb of text (for a large page) is
really not much in the database after all. But when you have someone who
doesn't use the preview button and ends up committing 59 revisions in
which they change one word each time, it can add up. It also clutters
the Recent Changes page, making it harder for the moderators to see what
has really been changed.

I'm a sysop on a wiki for a game mod, and I can tell you from personal
experience that it gets very irritating to look at the changes list and
see that one page was edited 37 times within 10 minutes by the same
person (real example). We're also having problems with people not
knowing how to use the Comment field, and ending up with hundreds of
edits with no description that require manually viewing the diff.

Sorry, not really contributing here, just an anecdote.

Chris