POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computer system : Re: Computer system Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer system
From: somebody
Date: 25 Jul 2010 11:46:03
Message: <4c4c5c3b$1@news.povray.org>
"Neeum Zawan" <fee### [at] festercom> wrote in message
news:876### [at] festercom...
> "somebody" <x### [at] ycom> writes:

> > WD 2TB Caviar Green 5400rpm SATA II w/ 64MB Cache (x4)

> Dunno if things have changed, but if 5400 rpm is as slow as it used to
> be, I'd get 7200rpm. I'm guessing they don't exist in their Green line.

I guess you do get the performance somewhat in line with the rpm, but even
though I have amassed copious amounts of data due to my obsessive compulsive
habit of keeping all revisions of all code, models, images, renderings, and
documents, the amount of data I access on a daily basis is relatively small
and I'm not concerned with waiting a few extra seconds or minutes per day
for saving/loading. Plus the price difference between 5400 and 7200 drives
add up quickly for 4x 2TB ones.

The real time killer in the bad old days was disk trashing due to
insufficient RAM, which made disk speeds more relevant. Now RAM is more than
adequate, but OS's and applications are more bloated, so a fast system disk
(hence the SSD) is still a good idea, but I don't think the data disks need
to be lightning fast.