POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computer system : Re: Computer system Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer system
From: somebody
Date: 24 Jul 2010 22:50:00
Message: <4c4ba658$1@news.povray.org>
"Le_Forgeron" <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote in message
> Le 24/07/2010 21:40, somebody nous fit lire :

> > I need to get a new home system, but unfortunately, I haven't kept much
up
> > to date on the hardware, so I'm doing a crash study now. We get Dell
> > workstations at work, and while they are quiet, stable and fast enough,
> > similarly spec'd system would be way out of budget at home.
> >
> > It will be used for CAD/CAM (the gamer card is not a problem for me),
> > rendering (some POV, but mostly Brazil, V-Ray), development, and all the
> > usual home stuff (video, image editing... etc). About the only game I
have
> > and play once in a blue moon is MSFS. Speed, relatively low noise and
data
> > security (hence the redundant drives, some of which will go to external
> > enclosures) are priorities. It will run a dual monitor setup, and I like
> > multitasking. What do the hardware gurus think of the following system?
> >
> > Cooler Master HAF X Tower

First, thank you for the very informative response.

I'm now having second thoughts with this. I was going for a relatively quiet
case (from reviews), but while the case may indeed be quiet, wouldn't the
liberal use of gratings allow more component noise to be audible outside? I
realize it's a catch 22...

> > Corsair HX 1000W PS

> A bit (by far) over need.

> > Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R MB
> > Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz CPU
> > Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B CPU Cooler
> > Patriot Ext. Per. Viper II Sector 7 DDR3 12GB (3 x 4GB) PC3-12800
> > Asus ENGTX470 GeForce GTX 470 1280MB
> > Mushkin Enhanced Io Series SSD 128GB
> > WD 2TB Caviar Green 5400rpm SATA II w/ 64MB Cache (x4)
> > Samsung SH-S223B 22x SpeedPlus DVD-Writer
> > Windows 7 Professional x64

> Me, actually running in a Twelve Hundred (Antec), Asrock X58 extreme3,
> Intel Core i7 980X (3.3GHz) (box, standard cooler), G.Skill memory
> (6x4GB PC3-10666), GTX470 by Gainward (who cares ? same design board
> everywhere), 2 x 2 TB HDD + 500+750 GB HDD, DVD writer (same as yours),
> Ubuntu Linux amd_64.
>
> A 650 W power supply might have been more than enough (but running a
> Seasonic X-750 anyway), GTX470 recommands a 550W PSU, power-peak never
> occurs at the same time as hard drive spin up)

Yes. I was running with the assumption that bigger is better (and runs
quieter, cooler and longer) at 50%-60% capacity than a smaller one utilizing
70-80%. However, I'm not averse to saving a few bucks if this assumption is
not warranted.

Interesting (and disappointing). Is this true even if the second one is not
running anything needing 3D acceleration? If so, would you recommend messing
with an additional card (different, cheaper and quieter)? I've quickly
checked and Windows 7 seems to accomodate this...

> Regarding WD 2TB drives, have you checked the sector size/compatibility
> (new 2TB from WD use 4KB sectors **, which might be problematic for
> alignment/performance with traditional OS: first sector must NOT be at
> 63 anymore, utility must be used to align the partitions to right
> boundary, utility not available for all OS, must be done right)

I had read about this, but did not think much of it because the disks won't
be shared with any other (non Windows 7) system.

> **: there is a difference between EARS & EADS, check the web.

Many thanks again.