POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : C# vs Java in memory management : Re: C# vs Java in memory management Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: C# vs Java in memory management
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Jul 2010 18:33:45
Message: <4c4b6a49$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I suppose, thus, that it's usually much easier for a competent C++
> programmer to start writing efficient C# programs for the XBox than
> for a competent Java programmer.

Well, I don't know about "efficient", but at least one that isn't
inefficient because it uses too much garbage collection. (Incidentally,
there really isn't any problem on Windows. It's just the "compact" .NET
framework that's a problem, if it's even a problem.)

I ran into a couple of places where I got caught/confused because I was
using arrays of classes (i.e., reference types) and I switched to using
structs (i.e., value types), and I tried to update things in place (which of
course failed). At which point I went "Oh *that's* what C++ references are
for..."   Fortunately, I figured out what I had done after going "what in
the world did I change that could have broken *that* module?" for about 10
minutes.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback