POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... : Re: A random wondering of my own... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A random wondering of my own...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Jul 2010 15:49:38
Message: <4c4b43d2$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/24/2010 8:49 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 08:35:54 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>
>> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>>> Which is my point: They (at least the loud atheists) tend not to know
>>> much about religion.
>>
>> I think the guys who wrote the books (Hitchens, Dawkins, etc) probably
>> studied it pretty well.
>
> Those are the ones I think of when I think of the "loud" atheists.
>
> Jim
Well, actually Dawkins never even raises his voice.. lol Seriously
though, I do have to wonder if the word being used in this context
really "is" loud, as in the morons that show up on scienceblogs once in
a while, claiming to be atheists, then proceed to show that they have a
badly distorted understanding of religion, science *and* atheism. But,
yeah, despite the odd fact that most of them would, compared to say
Rush, look like a wall flower, the most common, at least from the
religious, word used for them is "strident".

Thing is, you won't find a *lot* of difference in content, though
perhaps a bit more... aggressiveness, between say, PZ Myers, who *might*
be argued, if you ignore the number of posts, or comments to posts,
where he mentions the number of Bibles, other religious texts, etc., he
has read, along with various appologestics people keep sending him, how
he got to be an atheist, and so on-

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/

and something like The Chaplain, who uses the name because they **used
to actually be a priest**-

http://thechapel.wordpress.com/

Both have said, to critics, more or less, "We are not addressing the
nice ones, or some theology that doesn't *exactly* match what we are
using as an example, we are addressing the sort of idiocy we actually
have to deal with, and the damage it causes to society. If you are not
one of these people, then why are you here complaining?"

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {