POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computer system : Computer system Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:13:05 EDT (-0400)
  Computer system
From: somebody
Date: 24 Jul 2010 15:40:30
Message: <4c4b41ae$1@news.povray.org>
I need to get a new home system, but unfortunately, I haven't kept much up
to date on the hardware, so I'm doing a crash study now. We get Dell
workstations at work, and while they are quiet, stable and fast enough, a
similarly spec'd system would be way out of budget at home.

It will be used for CAD/CAM (the gamer card is not a problem for me),
rendering (some POV, but mostly Brazil, V-Ray), development, and all the
usual home stuff (video, image editing... etc). About the only game I have
and play once in a blue moon is MSFS. Speed, relatively low noise and data
security (hence the redundant drives, some of which will go to external
enclosures) are priorities. It will run a dual monitor setup, and I like
multitasking. What do the hardware gurus think of the following system?

Cooler Master HAF X Tower
Corsair HX 1000W PS
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R MB
Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz CPU
Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B CPU Cooler
Patriot Ext. Per. Viper II Sector 7 DDR3 12GB (3 x 4GB) PC3-12800
Asus ENGTX470 GeForce GTX 470 1280MB
Mushkin Enhanced Io Series SSD 128GB
WD 2TB Caviar Green 5400rpm SATA II w/ 64MB Cache (x4)
Samsung SH-S223B 22x SpeedPlus DVD-Writer
Windows 7 Professional x64