POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... : Re: A random wondering of my own... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A random wondering of my own...
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Jul 2010 13:17:24
Message: <4c4b2024$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> I think QM is more "holy" than GR because it's very
>> difficult to observe the actual behavior of GR in the extreme. We have only
>> theories of what goes on inside a black hole's even horizon, whereas QM has
>> been expermentally validated to a much greater extent with actual
>> observations, perhaps?
>
>   But not in those extreme conditions...

Agreed, certainly.  I just think that's why GR is considered less
well-established. We haven't actually built any gravitic engineering
projects. If we actually had black hole power plants like we have QM
transitors, I think we'd probably have much less tendency to favor QM over GR.

(I once had a sci-fi scenario where the power plants were quantum black
holes into which you could feed any sort of matter you wanted and get out
hot hawking radiation to power your tech. I wonder if that might actually
work. :-)

And we have the ability to build the extreme quantum conditions, like cosmic
rays or the LHC.  We don't really have the ability to build extreme gravity
conditions yet.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback