POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... : Re: A random wondering of my own... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A random wondering of my own...
From: Warp
Date: 24 Jul 2010 06:27:11
Message: <4c4abfff@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   I have always wondered why it seems that quantum mechanics is somehow
> considered "holier" than general relativity. If some physical phenomenon
> is predicted which seems to contradict either one or the other, or both,
> then it must be GR which breaks, never the "holy" QM, which never breaks
> and is always in effect no matter what the circumstances.

  I came up with a humorous explanation for that.

  Quantum physicists don't really like gravity. After all, it's such an
insignificant force at quantum scales that it can be completely left out
of equations and it doesn't change anything. It's way, way weaker than
even the second weakest interaction of the four, and plays no significant
role at all at quantum levels. Thus those puny astrophysicist can keep
their gravity, it doesn't affect us.

  But then astrophysicist say that hey, GR actually predicts this phenomenon
where gravity actually becomes a significant force. Not only that, it
actually becomes so significant that it completely overwhelms all the
other forces, including strong interaction. Take that, you quantum physicists.
Your move.

  Quantum physicists take this as an invasion of privacy. Those puny
astrophysicists are invading their realm! They could have the *entire
universe* with all the stars and planets and everything, but no, they
can't be content with that, they have to invade our world too with their
annoying theories and equations. But we won't go out without a fight!
Quants cannot lose the battle to gravity!

--
                                                          - Warp