POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... : Re: A random wondering of my own... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A random wondering of my own...
From: Warp
Date: 24 Jul 2010 01:44:33
Message: <4c4a7dc1@news.povray.org>
> However, you may be not so far off the mark regarding black holes:
> AFAIK, those indeed typically have a non-zero (though ever shrinking)
> volume, as in order to form a true singularity you'd need a neatly
> symmetric collapse.

  I think you are confusing singularities which are not points (which is
what happens in rotating black holes, AFAIK). Just because the singularity
is not a point (but eg. a ring) doesn't mean it doesn't have zero volume.
A torus can have zero volume if the minor radius is zero (and that, IIRC,
is precisely what the GR equations tell about a rotating black hole).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_singularity

> Thus, the problem with black holes is probably not the singularity /per
> se/: To me it looks like that's a purely academic issue because there
> bloody likely aren't any such beasts out there in reality. Instead, the
> problem with black holes is that ever-shrinking thing, which doesn't go
> along well with QED's prediction of a lower bound on distances.

  I'm not sure what you mean by "ever-shrinking".

--
                                                          - Warp