POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... : Re: A random wondering of my own... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:14:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A random wondering of my own...
From: Warp
Date: 24 Jul 2010 01:34:50
Message: <4c4a7b7a@news.povray.org>
> http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2010/07/did-time-exist-before-the-big-bang.html

  Unrelated to the point itself, but I couldn't help but notice how the
article uses the word "theory" with the *colloquial* meaning rather than
the *scientific* one (the more scientific term would have been "hypothesis"
or perhaps even "conjecture").

  If even scientific publications confuse the colloquial and scientific
meanings of the word "theory", is it any surprise that laymen do that too
(and hence all the arguments of why the theory of evolution is "only a
theory")?

--
                                                          - Warp