POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... : Re: A random wondering of my own... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A random wondering of my own...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 23 Jul 2010 21:09:07
Message: <4c4a3d33$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/22/2010 7:58 PM, Neeum Zawan wrote:
> They also had a terrible tendency to generalize: They see something
> silly in one sect in one religion, and they generalize like
> crazy.
>
> Their rhetoric isn't helpful. They often ask religious people to defend
> principles that those religious people don't always believe in, for
> example. They didn't bother establishing whether the person they're
> speaking to fits their mental model of a religious person. He merely
> does, because he's religious.

Problem with this is, while true, there is a fairly consistent "media"
trend on what kind of stuff people believe, and that 99% of believers
may not believe it doesn't help, if what they do believe is just as silly.

In any case, you cannot address a position you are not aware of, so you
address the ones you *are* aware of, which tend to be that presented by
the loudest, most annoying, incoherent, but visible, people.

But, even among the so called "worst", the basic position is that
religion has two forms. The first is, "I collect stamps, and I would
love to meet other people that collect stamps", variety, which you can
usually ignore, as long as some situation doesn't come up, in which
their stamps are threatened. The second is, "You MUST collect STAMPS,
anyone that DOESN'T is a horrible person, and everyone that says stamp
COLLECTING isn't interesting, NEVER MIND that its useless, or nuts, is
out to DESTROY our entire way of LIFE!!!" Sorry, but I know some of you
can't get html, so I can't add in the random colors and Comic Sans. ;)

In any case, its not possible to take on an issue, without doing "some"
level of generalizing. And, yeah, we do have some idiots on our side
that do it a bit too often.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {