POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... : Re: A random wondering of my own... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:15:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A random wondering of my own...
From: clipka
Date: 22 Jul 2010 16:48:53
Message: <4c48aeb5$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.07.2010 21:46, schrieb Darren New:

>> Hence if all the mass is in a singularity, it cannot be in the
>> form of particles, but something else completely (basically something
>> that cannot be described with current knowledge of physics).
>
> That's fair. But I would more say "we don't know if they're still
> particles or something else" than I would say "we know they can't be
> particles because the math says there's zero space at the bottom of the
> well."

An interesting thought in this context is that the mass will never
actually reach the singularity state anyway as long as the universe
exists, due to the extreme warping of space-time.

>> People don't claim to know what happens in the singularity. They claim
>> that
>> the equations say something about what happens *outside* the singularity
>> (and that "something" is, basically, "there can't be anything inside the
>> event horizon and outside the singularity, hence the only possible place
>> where everything must be is in the singularity, because that's where all
>> the space-time geodesics are pointing to").

I think there's a flaw in here, too: The event horizon itself is subject
to relativity as well. An observer approaching the black hole in free
fall will witness the event horizon to "dent in" in front of him, even
when he himself has already passed the event horizon as witnessed from a
far-away observer.