POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... : Re: A random wondering of my own... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A random wondering of my own...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 22 Jul 2010 13:32:46
Message: <4c4880be$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/22/2010 10:07 AM, Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> Matter degenerates under that much gravity. They are not "particles"
>> anymore.
>
> Err, what are they, then?
>
>> Besides, it doesn't really matter what happens to them. You would have
>> to prove that there exists a phenomenon or force in physics which makes
>> matter overcome the gravity and stops it from collapsing into a
>> singularity
>> inside a black hole. I don't think any such phenomenon or force has been
>> observed or even plausibly conjectured.
>
> I would think Pauli exclusion would be a possibility. Or something like
> the quantumness of spacetime. Can you actually fit multiple particles
> into one plank-length of space?
>
>> You would need to explain what stops the matter from collapsing into a
>> singularity. It certainly cannot be a physical force.
>
> I think first you have to define what you mean by a "singularity", then
> by a "force", given that gravity isn't a force per se.
>
> I think once you wander outside the area where the math actually is
> known to work, you need some actual experimental evidence to base
> conclusions on. I don't know that it's valid to say "that must behave
> *this* way, because otherwise we'd divide by zero" (or "because we
> divide by zero"). The math only summarizes what we know of physics. It
> doesn't define how physics works.

This is one reason why singularity is a problem. You throw out every
equation you "do" have about how things work, because, "They don't work
there.", only.. then you have to ask why, given things like the
"multiple particles in a Plank Length" issue, which the same math says
shouldn't happen, even *in* a black hole. If you conclude that, like a
lot of math, there is a point where it just won't apply, then you only
have to deal with "one" equation being wrong at that level of mass, not
***every*** equation in physics, except the one telling you a
singularity formed. Which seems more absurd, or just less complicated?

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {