POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... : Re: A random wondering of my own... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A random wondering of my own...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 22 Jul 2010 13:21:38
Message: <4c487e22$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/22/2010 9:32 AM, Warp wrote:
> Jim Henderson<nos### [at] nospamcom>  wrote:

>>> Which is the flip side of atheists who claim to know more about
>>> theological topics than believers do.
>
>> Well, not really; a fair number of the creationists reject scientific
>> principles.  Atheists tend to know a lot more about theistic religions
>> than those who practice them, IME, because they've often been raised in
>> one and then decided it's pants after years of careful study and
>> questioning - questioning that *often* is answered with "don't ask those
>> kinds of questions!"
>
>    There are certainly tons of atheists (a term which I'm using in a very
> broad sense here) who have all kinds of misconceptions about the Bible and
> the christian dogma, and which are quite easy to prove wrong, and which,
> basically, make themselves as foolish with their misconceptions as many
> creationists with their misconceptions about science.

Willing to bet that most of those "misconceptions" are nothing of the
sort, but rather preconceptions, arising out of their own experience
with believers, including those they grew up with, who actually
***did*** think those things where in the Bible. Oh, and then there is
all the stuff that is correct vis a vie the Bible, if you read it "in
context", or "literally", or "in terms of the time period and beliefs
common then", but bare no resemblance **at all** to the cherry picked,
ultra-liberal (but don't dare say that in some circles), white washed
version that many modern Christians "think" their Bible has in it, on
the basis of sermons that, if they are lucky, contain less than 10% of
the total contents, while the other 90% is quietly classed as, "Not
relevant to anything I ever preach about", and swept under the nearest
alter cloth.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {