POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... : Re: A random wondering of my own... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A random wondering of my own...
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Jul 2010 13:08:02
Message: <4c487af2$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Matter degenerates under that much gravity. They are not "particles"
> anymore.

Err, what are they, then?

>   Besides, it doesn't really matter what happens to them. You would have
> to prove that there exists a phenomenon or force in physics which makes
> matter overcome the gravity and stops it from collapsing into a singularity
> inside a black hole. I don't think any such phenomenon or force has been
> observed or even plausibly conjectured.

I would think Pauli exclusion would be a possibility. Or something like the
quantumness of spacetime. Can you actually fit multiple particles into one
plank-length of space?

>   You would need to explain what stops the matter from collapsing into a
> singularity. It certainly cannot be a physical force.

I think first you have to define what you mean by a "singularity", then by a
"force", given that gravity isn't a force per se.

I think once you wander outside the area where the math actually is known to
work, you need some actual experimental evidence to base conclusions on. I
don't know that it's valid to say "that must behave *this* way, because
otherwise we'd divide by zero" (or "because we divide by zero"). The math
only summarizes what we know of physics. It doesn't define how physics works.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback