POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... : Re: A random wondering of my own... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A random wondering of my own...
From: Warp
Date: 22 Jul 2010 12:32:50
Message: <4c4872b2@news.povray.org>
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:10:04 -0400, John VanSickle wrote:

> >>   Another curious things is that many creationists seem to think that
> >>   they
> >> know what "evolution" is better than evolutionists themselves.
> >
> > Which is the flip side of atheists who claim to know more about
> > theological topics than believers do.

> Well, not really; a fair number of the creationists reject scientific
> principles.  Atheists tend to know a lot more about theistic religions
> than those who practice them, IME, because they've often been raised in
> one and then decided it's pants after years of careful study and
> questioning - questioning that *often* is answered with "don't ask those
> kinds of questions!"

  There are certainly tons of atheists (a term which I'm using in a very
broad sense here) who have all kinds of misconceptions about the Bible and
the christian dogma, and which are quite easy to prove wrong, and which,
basically, make themselves as foolish with their misconceptions as many
creationists with their misconceptions about science.

  On the other hand, there *are* many atheists who do know the Bible better
than most christians do, who do know which arguments against the Bible are
invalid (because they stem from prejudice and misinterpretation of the text
by ignoring its context), and they also know which parts of the Bible (which
many creationists interpret literally) truly don't stand too much scrutiny
in the face of scientific evidence. Of course these are the minority, in
my experience.

--
                                                          - Warp