POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : MipMap Question : Re: MipMap Question Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MipMap Question
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Jul 2010 00:39:09
Message: <4c47cb6d$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
>  > I'm using XNA, which is pretty high-level w.r.t. this stuff. So,
>  > briefly, "I dunno." The flag I have trivial control over simply says
>  > whether to generate the mipmaps at compile time or not.
>
> Oh, OK. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb976075.aspx seems to
> describe some texture filtering options for XNA.

Yeah, that's in the sampling. Since I'm just using the default effects right
now (an "effect" being a chunk of graphics pipeline code, vertex and pixel
shaders) I'm not certain what technique it might be using.  I would have to
rewrite that (which I plan to eventually do anyway if I can think of how to
make the actual gameplay interesting ;-), so I'll try different ones then.

> Try
> TextureFilter.Anisotropic. I'm not sure if TextureFilter.Linear is smart
> enough to do trilinear (which lerps between the mip maps), and I've
> never heard of what they're describing TextureFilter.PyramidalQuad or
> TextureFilter.GaussianQuad to be.

I'll do that. It sounds like the quad filters are different weightings on
the lerping, sort of like an AA approach.

> off, resulting in some blurriness. It's just usually not enough to worry
> about.

OK. I'll have to look again, because it seemed ... obviously blurry to me.
I'll see about getting some screen shots, probably some time next week at
the earliest.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback