POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : MipMap Question : Re: MipMap Question Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:15:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MipMap Question
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Jul 2010 23:26:50
Message: <4c47ba7a$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
> Are you using bilinear, trilinear, or anisotropic filtering?

I'm using XNA, which is pretty high-level w.r.t. this stuff. So, briefly, "I
dunno."   The flag I have trivial control over simply says whether to
generate the mipmaps at compile time or not.

> If you're
> looking head-on, then anisotropic won't help, but it still uses the
> highest mip level that has a *lower* resolution than the actual pixels,
> so that it only has to sample once per pixel. This will be most
> noticeable if you're using bilinear and not trilinear.

Hmmm. OK. So if I get the size on screen to be slightly larger than the size
in the actual texture file, I should not see a problem, right?

> I guess what I'm saying is that you can expect a *little* blurriness
> from the mip filtering, but not more than one mip level worth.

OK. I don't think it's that much blurry. Just ... noticable if you know what
it should look like.

> Screenshots would help to tell if it's normal or not.

I think I've learned how to do this, yes. I'll give it a go when I get back
on the project and ask again.

Thanks for the input!

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)