POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... : Re: A random wondering of my own... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A random wondering of my own...
From: John VanSickle
Date: 21 Jul 2010 21:10:10
Message: <4c479a72$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>>   Why do creationists (with which I'm referring to certain specific dogmas
>> rather than "christians" or "believers" in general) continuously confuse
>> two completely different and separate fields of science, namely astronomy
>> and biology?
>
>   Another curious things is that many creationists seem to think that they
> know what "evolution" is better than evolutionists themselves.

Which is the flip side of atheists who claim to know more about
theological topics than believers do.

It is certainly true that there are lots of people in both camps who
believe and know only what their accepted authorities have told them
about either topic.

>   A very typical argument between a (young-earth) creationist and an
> evolutionist goes like: "Can you give me even one single example of
> evolution having been observed?" "Yes, there's for example xyz."
> "That's not evolution."
>
>   Wait, now creationists define what "evolution" means and are, basically,
> claiming that evolutionists don't even know what it really means?

Differing definitions of evolution at work.  In the broadest sense, it
refers to any change over time in the variety of life, which is
observable.  Creationists use the term to refer to something more
specific, such as the gradual change of one form of life into a
significantly different form (such as the transition from insectivores
into carnivores).

Regards,
John